Have you served in missions? Perhaps you’re a full-time missionary. Maybe you’ve served with us at Mission Partners for Christ. Perhaps you’re a missionary-in-training waiting for your first assignment. Regardless of where you might find yourself in your missions journey, everyone can use a little encouragement that they are where God has called them.
While serving on a medical mission trip can be fulfilling on many levels, it can also bring moments of stress. There can be a lot of anxiety around raising funds necessary to do the work God is calling you to. Dealing with tough medical cases can be frustrating. Sharing the gospel with strangers can be anxiety-inducing. Let’s also not forget the foe that targets even the most seasoned missionaries: imposter syndrome.
There can be so very many emotions that accompany the missionary life. It is helpful to remember that God never leaves His servants empty-handed. Nor does He leave us alone to do the work we’re called to do. The Lord is with us every step of the way, and He will equip us with everything we need to serve others in His name.
If you, or someone you know, is in need of encouragement today that God is still in control, read on. We have some very important reminders from the Bible about God’s presence in the lives of missionaries.
1. Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak
Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint. – Isaiah 40:28-31, NIV
2. But now, this is what the Lord says—
he who created you, Jacob,
he who formed you, Israel:
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze. – Isaiah 43:1-2, NIV
3. The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me. – Psalm 23-1-4, NIV
4. I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you. – Psalm 32:8, NIV
5. I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip—
he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. – Psalm 121:1-4, NIV
6. “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” – Matthew 11:28-30, NIV
7. “Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. – Luke 12:27, NIV
8. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. – John 14:16-17, NIV
9. Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, – Romans 8:1, NIV
10. What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? – Romans 8:31, NIV
11. No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.- Romans 8:37-39, NIV
12. Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. – 1 Corinthians 15:58, NIV
13. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort. – 2 Corinthians 1:7, NIV
14. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. – 2 Corinthians 4:17, NIV
15. ‘Never again will they hunger;
never again will they thirst.
The sun will not beat down on them,’
nor any scorching heat.
For the Lamb at the center of the throne
will be their shepherd;
‘he will lead them to springs of living water.’
‘And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.’ – Revelation 7:16-17, NIV
We hope that this list has helped you remember that God is for you and with you in all that you do in service to Him.
Did any particular verse resonate with you? Did you feel the Holy Spirit whispering encouragement in your ear as you read through these Bible passages? Please let us know in the comments!